29 August 2008

Wild turkeys

At about 6 pm tonite, I glanced out of our kitchen window & spotted a wild turkey on our lawn by the house where I have my agility equipment set up. Then I saw a second one! I ran to the other side of the house & tried to quietly 'shout' to Michael to come see them. Then I ran to get my mother-in-law. At that point, they probably heard some commotion in the house (turkeys have very good hearing) and were starting to turn and head into the woods. Then the dogs barked and they disappeared into the woods. My mother-in-law missed seeing them. But they were absolutely huge! I'd estimate about 3 feet tall while walking fairly upright. We are getting more of them around here now, after the Ministry of Natural Resources started releasing them into the wild many years ago. I see lots of tracks in our woods in winter but it's been many years since I've seen them so close to our house. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera handy. But it was very exciting to see them so close up. Turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool. I love seeing wild life. I imagine the dogs were crazed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big dogs sure were hot on the turkeys' trail when I let them outside.

    ReplyDelete