16 August 2008

Mr Blue meets his new family

Mr Blue is now known as "Blaze". He has been a fabulous puppy from the moment he was born and I had a lot of difficulty giving him up. But sadly I can't keep all the puppies we breed.

Blaze was scheduled to fly to Calgary, Alberta to his new home on August 15. I got to the airport cargo area at 6:30 AM for his 8:45 AM flight & after cuddles, kisses and tears, I had to say goodbye to him at 7:30. I hadn't been home 10 minutes when I got a call to say the 8:45 flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems and he was being put on the 11:30 flight. I quickly calculated that it would mean he'd be crated without water and food for over 8 hours and there's no way I wanted that to happen. So I booked him on the 3:15 PM flight and headed back to the airport to pick him up. He wasn't brought back to the cargo area until almost 10:45 AM.

I never thought I'd be seeing him again so soon but I was thrilled! I took him outdoors to pee and then packed him into the van to return home for a short while. But by the time I got home - after being delayed by yet another accident on the highway (3 that day that affected me) - I realized we'd only be home for about 20 minutes before having to take him back (cargo requires that anything being shipped by freight be checked in 2 hours in advance of the departure time). So I decided to reschedule him to Saturday morning. Later I learned that the 3:15 flight was delayed by 45 minutes - probably due to yet more bad thunderstorms and torrential rain. So I was really glad that I rescheduled to the next day. Poor little guy would have been very traumatized.

It was a lot quieter on Saturday morning and for once, the weather was sunny and dry. So, once again, I had to say my goodbyes and shed more tears when Blaze was taken away. No cancellations, no delays, no bad weather - smooth flying. When I finally got the message that he had arrived and all was well, I was happy.

Blaze's family is now thoroughly delighted and have fallen in love with him. They will be showing him in conformation and also doing field work/hunting and perhaps obedience and maybe even agility. I'm sure I'll be hearing a lot more about him in future.


1 comment: