20 August 2008

Better to forget this day

The day started well enough but then I noticed 3 bumps right by Tyro's nostril. Figured it was from a sting or bite or scratch from a puppy, so vowed to watch it. Fed him his breakfast and then shortly later, found some vomit. Thought it might be from Miska regurgitating food for the puppies which she had done on occasion even after they have been weaned. However, then I noticed that Tyro had some hives. Gave him a Benadryl, consulted with my vet and then gave him another. Later he started throwing up and wouldn't even keep Pepto Bismal down.

In the meantime, one of the puppies had ventured near a wasp nest and came racing back with several yellow jacket wasps clinging to him. I hate wasps! Each year it seems one or more of our dogs gets stung but thankfully, no one has had any type of reaction. However, a puppy getting stung several times is no laughing matter in my books. Since my vet had left the office, I consulted one of my veterinay books which said to apply a baking soda taste to the stings to relieve pain and swelling and there would likely be no effect after 24 hours. Well that worked because 2 hours later, the swelling had subsided and he was racing around again.

Tyro was a different case however. More and more vomiting so I finally took him to the emergency vet clinic. The hives had almost disappeared by the time I got there. The vet gave him an injection for the allergens and for the vomiting and he was quite sleepy by the time we got home. He said to give him Benadryl for the next 24 hours. From time to time, my dogs have had an outbreak of hives and usually it never repeated itself. We never knew what caused those cases. Hope that's the case with Tyro too.

4 comments:

  1. Glad the puppy is okay and we will keep Tyro in our thoughts that he is back to his old self tomorrow.

    The Red Dawn Clan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! What a terrifying experience for that poor puppy.... :(

    Sylvia, thank God for your books and your experience! It is good that you share this incident; I wouldn’t know what to do in that situation. Thank you...

    Poor Tyro, I hope he is feeling better today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES! Glad to hear that both are ok. Thanks for posting I'd forgotten about the backing soad paste thing and I don't have any in the house. It's going on the shopping list

    ReplyDelete
  4. My regular vet told me that vinegar, as well as a baking soda & water paste, will also help to extract the toxins from bee & wasp stings and also reduce the pain and swelling.

    ReplyDelete