9 October 2008

Teenagers on ATVs

I was having a pleasant walk in the woods with my dogs this afternoon - the weather was warm and sunny and the fall colours were starting to look gorgeous (our garden below)- when from afar I could hear noisy ATVs. Sound carries a long way in the country so I didn't know how close or far away they were initiallly. Then very quickly I realized they were coming down the same trail as us. There was a bend about 40 feet from where we were stood and suddenly one of them appeared. Grabbing and restraining Diva (Quest was at home recovering from an upset GI tract & the others were in the woods and more interested in hunting chipmunks), I put my hand up in the 'stop' position to slow them down. Well, they did - but barely. There were two of them, both teenagers, and they really couldn't care less about us.

I screamed at the top of my lungs, 'YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE HERE!" since motorized vehicles are prohibited from this conservation tract. Of course they couldn't hear me above the huge racket the motors make and the crash helmets they had on. There are no licence plates to identify them since these vehicles aren't approved for road travel. Thankfully this doesn't happen very often and I hope won't again. These kids are probably the ones making all the racket we've been hearing recently but we haven't been able to locate where they ride. Next time, I'll report them to the police. Sometimes in winter we encounter people on snowmobiles - again they are also prohibited on this trail - but I find the snowmobilers are usually adults and more likely to slow down when they see me and the dogs. Sometimes, I am actually grateful when the snowmobilers have been through to pack down deep snow, making it easier for us to walk in winter even though they are breaking the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment