29 September 2008

Wildlife at Lake Seneca, NY

I really enjoy going to the Finger Lakes, NY dog show circuit in September for many reasons: the show takes place in beautiful Sampson State park on Seneca Lake; it's a HUGE show with well over 2000 conformation entries plus there is agility, obedience, rally-o, lure coursing, eye and heart clinics; there are usually lots of vendors at the show; plus there are scores of wineries close by; exhibitors are very friendly and there is lots of socializing. And, there is also interesting wildlife. Just across from the state park is the former Seneca army depot, now home to the Seneca White Deer where they are protected. Instead of camping inside the park, I usually stay in a hotel in Geneve, north of the park so when I am driving to and from the show grounds, I usually spot the white deer in the early morning or at dusk (and some brown ones) plus lots of wild turkeys. Sighting the white deer is supposed to bring luck but that didn't work for me in conformation this weekend. :-(






The flock of turkeys I photographed were outside the army depot but I spotted lots inside the depot too. These turkeys, which numbered around 20, were considerably smaller than the two that ventured into our yard several weeks ago (they looked like turkeys on steroids and were huge in comparison!). Turkeys are very skittish but I used my new camera with a long zoom lens to take these pictures. I sure get a kick out of seeing wildlife.

I also explored other places around Lake Seneca and found a small hamlet with an intriguing sign on a railway crossing post on the outskirts of the village. I just had to photograph it!

1 comment:

  1. Love the story...love seeing the wildlife and love the pictures. Sorry you didn't have luck in confirmation. We didn't either.

    ReplyDelete